Friday, October 5, 2007

19 Months: 7 Days Ago

Right about 19 months and 7 days ago this adventure started. I can't wrap my brain around the fact that we are actually starting this church, THIS SUNDAY! It seriously seems like it was just 7 months ago that this started, but it's been 19. The excitement in the office yesterday was electric. For the first time in this whole process I got butterflies in my stomach yesterday. It was the same feeling I would get when playing sports in school, just that nervous anticipation. Here are some memories and thoughts of the last 19 months and 7 days.

--- I'll talk of this over and over till the day I die. February 28th, 2006 God confirmed to me through Scripture that we were to go and start a new church in Cheyenne. I asked Grant that day "Do you ever think about church planting?" His response "I think about it every day bro!" That 1 minute conversation started a course of adventure for us that will/has forever changed our lives.

--- The Sunday I told Dan of this calling in my heart is a day in the process I'll never forget. I went over to his house on a Sunday afternoon. He had to know something was up. I was scared to death, don't know why. Felt the same way when I told my dad I was called to the ministry. Both Dan and my Dad are two the of the godliest men I know so being afraid doesn't make sense. God had already been speaking to Dan's heart about me leaving. That was amazing. He wasn't surprised! The Lord had already prepared his heart for what I was going to tell him. Dan has been nothing but 100% supportive since then.

--- Church planters boot camp. We attended boot camp in June of 06' in Pennsylvania. I remember going through three emotions when we were there. "What in the world have we got ourselves into?" "Man, I think we can do this." "When can we start, we can definitely do this!"
This is a church planter MUST. I don't know where we would be were it not for boot camp.

--- Result from boot camp. They had challenged everyone to be in your mission field for a year before launch. We were planning on coming here in June of 07' and launching in September. Because of their advice, and the divine working of God in the hearts of HPCC and provision of a youth pastor for them, we were able to move here in February of 07' which gave us a 4 month head start. We wouldn't be ready to launch this week if we would have arrived in June.

--- September of 06 Keenan and Katrina moved to Cheyenne. Again, one of those things that got us to where we are at today. They paved the way and made some key relationships for us in the community. HUGE step of faith for them to do that. They were here all lone for 5 months.

--- October of 2006. Our first team meeting with Adam and Amber. Adam and Amber didn't commit at that time but the Lord spoke to Grants heart and said "This is the first meeting of your team." I didn't look for anyone else. Adam was the first person that God laid on my heart to be our worship leader. I talked to him from October 06 to February of 07 before that punk agreed to come down here. LOL It was a huge step for them as well to leave Adams home church and the only place he had done ministry. God clearly paved the way for them as well with confirmations through friends, family and Scripture that this was God's move for them.

--- Adam joining the team just completed it all. I don't know of anyone else on this entire team I would do things differently with. God brought us together for this calling. That amazes me.

--- March 2007: 6 of us meet in a basement to start Element Church.
May 2007: Gas buydown serving over 200 vehicles
June 2007: Life Groups multiply from 1 - 3
June 2007: Unplugged worship service begins with 34 people
June 23, 2007: We serve thousands of people at Superday with inflatable games
July 1, 2007: First Preview 75 people
August 5: Second Preview
Sept. 29th: Gas Buydown, over 5,000 gallons and 480 people served.
Sept. 30th: Final Preview 78 people in attendance
Oct. 7th, 2007: ????? What will happen. This is not the end. This is not the day I see in my heart. In fact. I don't see an end. The opportunities for God to work in Cheyenne are LIMITLESS. What will we do? Where will we go? Who will we reach? WOW! It is here. I can't believe it.

Following Christ,

Jeff

No comments: