Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Proud Dad

There is nothing like the pride of being a parent when you hear something your child did, said, accomplished or learned that just makes your heart swell.

Monday, Mariah was attending pre-school as usual. They were talking about the story of Balaam and the talking Donkey from the Old Testament. At school Mariah was the only one in the class who knew the story when the teacher asked who knew it. The teacher told Sabrina that the other kids had no clue what the story was and Mariah knew it. I was so proud of her.

Each night (barring extenuating circumstances) we have family devotions around the dinner table. It can be pretty funny. We read through the Bible, one story at a time, out of a childrens Bible story book. Then each of us pray for someone we know. It's been such a joy to see our children become "prayers". I keep telling Makalah she's going to be a prayer warrior. She loves to pray it seems like. Sometimes we have to keep ourselves from laughing it is so cute.

I remember family devos as a young kid. At times I HATED it. I wanted to go outside and play. Turn on the boob tube or do anything but pray and read the Bible. Know what? Because my parents made it a priority it made me into who I am today. Influenced the way I parent. Because it helped me so much, I now know the value of it for my kids, even when they may not feel like doing it at the time.

I am so proud of my kids. Can they be a handful? Well, is there sugar in syrup? THEN YES! But seeing God in the little child is a beautiful thing. Jonah, as wild as he can be, has a gentle spirit. He's always concerned about other kids. Other people. Wants them to be included. He loves serving at church already and at the soup kitchen (when we make it). Anyway, this is getting too long.

If my heart swells when my kids do godly things, how must our God feel when we do things in His name? When we live for Him? Chase holiness with reckless abandon? Defend the defenseless and fight for the oppressed? When we stand for truth and justice? When we share our faith, pray, seek, love, hope? I have a feeling His heart swells too.

Proud Dad,

Jeff

No comments: