Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sunday Night Rumination 11-18-07

Today was VERY exciting. We started a new mini-series called Thanks:Giving and these 2 sermons in this series have been some of the hardest for me to prepare for, because I may need to hear them the most. I feel like I've been preached to all week as God has been beating on my heart about some issues in my life when it comes to gratitude and generosity. It's really not about being thankful and giving. "What do you mean Jeff?" Glad you asked. When I have a grateful heart, it produces thankfulness. When I have a generous heart, it produces giving. Anyone can say "thank you" and anyone can give, but not everyone is grateful and generous. I want to be both.

--- 155 today in church. I knew the day was coming when we'd be down in attendance. This was the first time in 3 weeks we've been under 200. I know it's ALL about #'s but there isn't a pastor in the world who doesn't look at the attendance each week and sometimes fret over it. (I'm not fretting and if a pastor says they don't, they are lying)
--- 155 in today in church. (I know I'm repeating) Know what? I am thankful for those 155. 6 weeks ago we were launching this thing and didn't know if 50 would show up. I'll take 155 but I know there are thousands more out there who don't go to church. How will we get them? I will not be satisfied with 155, or 255, or 355. Not sure where God will take us but I know He's a big God and has a bigger heart for Cheyenne than any of us do.
--- $3180 in the offering today. Our giving has been solid. God has been good and taken care of us all along the way. He won't stop. I think when we are generous AS a church, people will be generous TO the church.
--- Great worship service today. The band was again amazing. I think they get better every week. Adam blogged about it here. We spend a lot of time planning our services and really didn't know what to expect time wise this week with dedications and communion. I think we let out of service at 11:18 so it worked out great.
--- We dedicated 10 kids today. It was AWESOME! From 15 years old to a 5 week old. It was a special time. It was so cool to see a mom stand there with her 15, 13 and 7 year old and say "I want to raise them in the way of the Lord."
--- We baptized 2 people today. One 12 year old young lady, and our Elevate kids teacher (don't know her age and wouldn't share if I did). We met at Calvary Chapel (thanks Calvary) and used their baptistery and sanctuary. Pastor Shaun (thanks Shaun), who has been AWESOME to and for us, and his family came to the service. Shaun has been a huge blessing. Just a Kingdom guy, supportive and willing to help wherever he can. As I thanked him he said "I hope we see lots more of these."
--- Grant got in the water and helped me out with the baptisms. What a turn in life that dude has seen. From a mormon home, baptized at 8 years old into the mormon faith, saved in the back of his Frito Lay truck, now standing waist deep in a baptistery, helping baptize his across the street neighbor that he helped lead to the church and Lord. How stinkin' cool is that. Grant, I love you bro! You're doing so good!
--- We are plugging people into serve more and more. I love seeing people commit to what we do. We've had some new help setting up and tearing down each week. We had a young lady start taking pictures for us today (she is a professional photographer) and will also help on the video side of things. Another young lady is spearheading our Christmas outreach event (which is going to be off the charts awesome)
--- Christmas outreach. I can't share yet what we are doing, but it is going to be so much fun. I love being able to bless people and we are going to get to do that. Elementers, get ready to be a blessing. Not only do I love blessing people but it's even greater that we are going to get to do it for some people who made a "right choice" in life. Difficult I'm sure, but right. We will announce it this Sunday.
--- Two services in two weeks. That blows my mind. It feels like we're launching again. I'm getting nervous. "Who will come to the 9 AM service?" We actually had someone show up today for the 9 AM service. We had a news brief in the paper about it yesterday but the family didn't see the date for the start of it that was in the article.
--- Looking forward to our Christmas series "Believe". We didn't do any set design for this mini series but are planning some cool stuff for "Believe".
--- My wife is leaving me! lol, she leaves tomorrow with the kids to go to Oklahoma to her dads for Thanksgiving. All her dads family is going to be there which will be a first in a while they've all been together. She wanted to go and I said "Go for it!" So it will be Doritos, diet pepsi, bologna for the next few days around here. I never like it when my family is going. It's cool for the first night or so, then it's just WAY to quiet. I'll miss them!
--- Got a lot to get done this week on the short week. This weeks message is a tough one again as I talk about generosity.
--- Whether your an Elementer, family, friend or just a casual onlooker. Thanks for following along. I say this too much but I seriously LOVE what I do.

1 comment:

PastorMax said...

Hey Jeff, sounds like the Lord is continuing to bless your dedication to His work, awesome man!
You, Grant & Adam are an inspiration for those of us here in Wyoming, seeing that it can be done. I regularly pray for you guys and your efforts there.
You have a great team and it looks like it is getting bigger & better (although I wish you would divulge your Christmas outreach,lol).
Anyway, God Bless bro & Keep it up!

Willy